Re: [patch 00/21] mutex subsystem, -V14

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Joel Schopp wrote:

this is version 14 of the generic mutex subsystem, against v2.6.15.

The patch-queue consists of 21 patches, which can also be downloaded from:

 http://redhat.com/~mingo/generic-mutex-subsystem/

Took a glance at this on ppc64.  Would it be useful if I contributed an arch
specific version like arm has?  We'll either need an arch specific version or
have the generic changed.

Don't change the generic version. You should provide a ppc specific version if the generic ones don't look so good.

Well, if the generic one generates _buggy_ code on ppc64, that means that either the generic version is buggy, or one of the atomics that it uses is buggily implemented on ppc64.

And I think it's the generic mutex stuff that is buggy. It seems to assume memory barriers that aren't valid to assume.

A mutex is more than just updating the mutex count properly. You also have to have the proper memory barriers there to make sure that the things that the mutex _protects_ actually stay inside the mutex.

So while a ppc64-optimized mutex is probably a good idea per se, I think the generic mutex code had better be fixed first and regardless of any optimized version.

On x86/x86-64, the locked instructions automatically imply the proper memory barriers, but that was just lucky, I think.

I think the generic code is correct according to Documentation/atomic_ops.txt
which basically defines any atomic_xxx operation which both modifies its
operand and returns something to have a full memory barrier before and after
its load/store operations.

Side note, why can't powerpc use lwsync for smp_wmb? The only problem seems to
be that it allows loads to be reordered before stores, but that's OK with
smp_wmb, right?

And why is smp_wmb() (ie. the non I/O barrier) doing eieio, while wmb() does
not? And rmb() does lwsync, which apparently does not order IO at all...

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.