Re: kernel 2.6.13 buffer strangeness

Nate Diller wrote:
just found the culprit. guess i should have read the code the first time. get_dirty_limits() in drivers/block/page_writeback.c has a hard-coded upper limit to dirty_ratio. it's capped to half of the unmapped pages, so maybe 30-40% of your system's memory. so if you are brave, just remove the "/ 2" parts from the 'if (dirty_ratio > unmapped_ratio / 2) dirty_ratio = unmapped_ratio / 2;' check, and you can have all the OOM goodness you want.

Excellent. OOM here I come.

i really recommend you focus on getting better disk bandwidth, you stand to gain a lot more from that approach. i presume you're on ext3; perhaps you should try reiser4 or xfs, they are more likely to meet your disk bandwidth requirements.

Yep, pursuing this as well, also looking to add more RAM to the machine. At this stage
I was just trying to understand the numbers that I was seeing, so I could work out the
best way to proceed.

I'm using ext2 at the moment, on the assumption that the journal would cost me a bit of performance so I left it out :-)

I'll certainly try the other filesystems as you suggest.

Thanks again, Anthony

--
Anthony Wesley
Director and IT/Network Consultant