Re: RAID resync speed

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Nuno Silva wrote:

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
Nuno Silva wrote:
Hi,
Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
I noticed that my 3-disk RAID was syncing at about 40MB/s, now that I
added a fourth disk it goes at only 20+MB/s. This is on an idle machine.
3*40=120
4*20=80
What does this mean? The raid is syncing at 20MB/s, not each disk, so I do
not see what the multiplication is about.

Yes, you're correct :-)

The raid resync speed min and max are governed by the linux raid subsystem, I do not remember how to tweak them off hand and it's isn't in the software raid howto.

Individually, each disk measures 60+MB/s with hdparm.
And concurrent hdparms? Or some dd's concurrently?

I do not see this as relevant, but four concurrent hdparms (each to a
different disk) give about 30MB/s per disk. I expect the controller
to talk to the four disks at their full speed so concurrency should
not be the issue.

I guess you're using linux's software raid?
If so, you're hitting the 120MB/sec (and I *think* this time I'm correct! :-)

If this is a PCI32/33mhz slot you're not going to be able to get more juice. (I bet that 3 concurrent dd's gets you 40MB each).

Anyway, this may be offtopic because the problem (only 20MB/sec for the raid with 4 disks) should be something else... Sorry for the noise.

Generally the maximum throughput for a pci controller is a bit less than the theoretical limit. some if not most motherboard implementations these days have the south brdiges sata ports attached to something other than the pci bus... This will get even more important in the context of sataII. pci-x or pci express sata controllers help quite a bit as well for machines that need more ports. Even some of the lower-end promise cards will run in a 66mhz slot these days though it's sort of wasteful to toss a 32bit card in a pci-x slot.

kernel: 2.6.13 on ia32
Controller: Promise SATAII150 TX4
Disks: WD 320GB SATA

Q: Is this the way the raid code works? The way the disk-io is
managed? Or
could it be due to the SATA controller?

You can isolate the performance drop with some dd's. Maybe this card is
in a pci32/33mhz and you're hitting the pci bus' limits? (120~130MB/sec).

'hdparm -T' gives about 1250 MB/sec so this is not the limiting
factor.

Mine outputs some fabulous values too... I'm not sure I trust them ;)

# hdparm -T /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads:   3536 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1767.38 MB/sec

Those are measuring the performance of the linux buffer cache without disk access. really this a benchmark of the processor and memory of the system not the disk. -t meuse speed through the buffer without caching, which might give you a ballpark indication of disk speed. Really you need to use something like iozone to get a sense of how fast a disk is.

on the laptop I'm sending the mail on...

[root@podocarpus-totara joelja]# hdparm -T /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2480 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1240.19 MB/sec

[root@podocarpus-totara joelja]# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   90 MB in  3.04 seconds =  29.60 MB/sec

30MB/s is pretty fast for a laptop, but it is a 100GB 5400rpm drive so it's probablly a little faster than what I'm used to.

Regards,
Nuno Silva