Re: PowerOP 2/3: Intel Centrino support

Jordan Crouse wrote:

When it comes
to embedded power management concepts, a consistant theme is that people
often question the usefulness, redundancy or complexity of a solution.  This
is perfectly understandable, since such a huge majority of the power
management experts and users are concentrating intently on x86 desktops and
servers.

It also occurs to me that another reason for the disconnect between x86 desktop/server and embedded on this point is the lack of ACPI. We want to do things analogous to the power management performed by ACPI, but entirely in Linux, so we need to expose some of those low-level machine resources to our power management software. In many cases those power management decisions do not revolve around the question of the MHz at which the CPU is to run. Embedded Linux system power management exists for many of the same reasons ACPI exists.

--
Todd