Re: Skype under Fedora-10

Tim wrote:
Tim:
Skype's a lousy idea, for various reasons, and that's just one of them.

Rick Stevens:
A blanket statement bound to generate flames if I ever saw one.  I might
as well start the flame fest.

I disagree, Tim.  Skype is a good idea.  There are bits that could be
done better, but parts of the service require quite a bit of capital
investment and there has to be a way to fund that.  Subscriptions is
one way.

I don't care if they run a service that people can pay for.  What I do
care about is a lockin/lockout system.  Skype only talks to Skype.  The
same problem with various other VOIP systems; the proprietary ones only
talk to their own.  I've used a few VOIP systems that gave you no way to
even dial anyone outside of their own system.  Sure you can pay extra to
get a PSTN number, but the other side might have to do the same thing,
too.  And just having one side *have* to do that, never mind both,
obviates the purpose of using VOIP, in the first place.

So everyone should stop using Skype because it doesn't work as you like? All the people I know want a portable phone number usable from any hot spot they can find. And Skype works just fine for that. Your purpose may be to talk to family and friends for free, and that's fine, but it certainly isn't the only way to talk to people, nor is it the only reason to have VOIP. The reason for cell phones is to have a number where you can be reached, rather than a list. That's a valid reason to have a Skype number, too, or any other VOIP to the POTS network provider.

I suspect when Google Talk (or whatever it's called) gets mature everything else will die.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>