Re: Skype under Fedora-10

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
I disagree, Tim.  Skype is a good idea.  There are bits that could be
done better, but parts of the service require quite a bit of capital
investment and there has to be a way to fund that.  Subscriptions is
one way.

It's not. It locks you into a proprietary protocol and by using it, you also
lock in all your friends. So you're actively promoting proprietary
software. This is a very bad and antisocial thing to do.

Yes, no one can call me from their phone unles... wait, they can call me from their phone. Any phone. Skype no more forces other to use it than ham radio or Twitter, it's an additional channel to reach me, not in any way exclusive.

When I was in Europe two years ago, I was able to call my mother in the
USA on her land line to check on her (she's 80 and lives alone).  The
cost using Skype was easily less than 25% of what it would have cost me
using my cell phone and standard connections.

There are other providers offering the same kind of services over the
standard SIP protocol. (I'm not going to advertise any particular one, but
I know they exist!) A proprietary protocol is not needed to offer paid
services, it's perfectly possible to enforce payment with SIP or another
open and interoperable protocol.

So you are proposing some nameless service people can't evaluate independently as an alternative. Call that a "closed source" recommendation, you know a provider who isn't like the one's people have complained about previously, but you don't tell us who so we could check it out.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>