Re: Why is Firefox such a beast??

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:06:45 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:43 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>>         All right, at least, at last, we get down to it. What is a
>> reasonable number of extensions to run? I.e., a number that will still
>> keep Firefox fast and stable?
>
> That's like asking how long is a piece of string, since everyone's needs
> are different. However I can comment that I currently have 22 add-ons
> installed and enabled, and another half dozen or so installed but
> disabled.
>
>> And are all extensions equal, in the loads they add, whether to speed
>> or to stability? (I doubt that, come to think
>> of it.)
>
> Obviously not. FlagFox shows a little flag for the country of the
> website you're visiting, and I doubt it takes as many resources as some
> Gmail add-ons I have.
>
>> Is there any way to identify, or even guess, which ones are prime
>> candidates for jettisoning?
>
> Not as far as I know. It would be a Good Thing (tm) of course.

	OK, I've been uninstalling hand over fist on three machines. The
fourth behind the KVM switch is an erstwhile server whose data has been
put in a better place; I wiped it with DBAN and did a fresh install of F8.

	I'm not entirely sure at this point what I have on which machine;
I'm afraid I may have inadvertently removed *all* the extensions on one
of them -- emptied out /home/btth/FEBE after a lot of deletions, without
thinking to do a fresh backup before telling it to restore. <sigh>

	But I *think* two of them are down to about fifty each, and close
to the same fifty. I'd like to believe those two now run better, but it's
too early to be sure. If that pans out, it should be straightforward to
copy the FEBE file from one of them onto the new install or the stripped
one, do a restore, and have a working collection.