Re: Why is Firefox such a beast??

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:22:34 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:09:28 +0000 (UTC) Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> 	I adopted your practice, with thanks; but it kept putting them
>> back.
>> 	Now I see only "disable" buttons instead of "uninstall" -- I hope
>> at least disabling lasts longer.
>
> That's because you didn't run firefox as root.  You have to be root in
> order to uninstall the language packs.  Users can only disable them, not
> uninstall them.

	But I did. Over and over, once you told me I could do it with a
CLI launch from a root prompt; and it kept putting them back.

> My procedure is this to su to root, then run firefox.  Uninstall the
> languages (and that dom-inspector thing).  Close firefox.  Run firefox
> again (as root.) Close firefox.  Exit root user.  Done.

	I'll try it once more. And dollars to doughnuts they all come
back. Probably the very next time I update Firefox; certainly when I
upgrade my OS.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3