FOLLOWUP: F9: Outgoing mail using "mail" doesn't work

OK, here's the deal.

Every time I boot up Fedora 9, in either my "real" machine or my VMware virtual machine, sendmail comes up in some kind of goofball misbehaving state where it thinks it is sending mail out, and /var/log/maillog claims it sent the mail out, but the mail just sits there in /var/spool/mqueue and never actually gets sent.

If I go in as root and say "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" then it appears to work from that time forward, until the next reboot.

I tried adding "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local but that didn't work until I added "sleep 5" before the "sendmail restart" line, now it seems to work from bootup.

This is all new behavior in F9... never saw anything like this in earlier versions all the way back to FC2.

Eric