Re: F9: Outgoing mail using "mail" doesn't work

Eric wrote:
> It appears that outgoing mail using the simple "mail" command (as in
> "mail abc@xxxxxxx") isn't working in F9.
>
> I don't recall doing anything special in previous releases e.g. F8,
> F6... it Just Worked.  I think.  I have some notes from those previous
> installations and don't see anything in there that I did special.
>
> I have gone through the archives for this list as best I can and haven't
> found anything that's on-point.
>
> Obviously I'm doing some basic boneheaded thing here but...

Have you actually installed an MTA? Try
rpm -q sendmail postfix exim ssmtp esmtp
and see what that returns. The Fedora default is still sendmail, I
believe, but I’d recommend one of the others if you want to play with
it.

Have you checked /var/log/maillog to see if there’s anything relevant in
there?

What does
dig +short -t mx gmail.com
return? What if you replace gmail.com with def.com (or whichever domain
you’re trying to reach?)

Finally, it may not be you. If you are on a domestic (or cheap business)
Internet connection, and your @def.com isn’t on the same connection,
then it’s quite possible that you’re being blocked – because you’re
making a connection from a dynamic IP address, or an IP address that’s
listed as one that shouldn’t send e-mail directly.

See http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl for more details (there are other
blocklists out there, but Spamhaus is the most widely used).

I’d note that your e-mail headers claim that your e-mail came from
207.22.49.17, dsl.netis.mv.com, which isn’t on any widely-used
blocklists.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "Minis on the other hand are just the wrong size. Too
aprilcottage.co.uk | small to work on directly and too large to put upside