Re: F9: Outgoing mail using "mail" doesn't work

Good morning, James and Steve.

Thanks for your assistance.

I had previously verified that sendmail was running (said "/etc/init.d/sendmail status" and got back info that both sendmail and sm-client were running). I had also checked /var/log/maillog and it claimed that the email had been "stat=Send (xxxxx Message accepted for delivery)". However, the mail did not actually go out, and sat in /var/spool/mqueue waiting for whatever it is that mail in /var/spool/mqueue waits for.

The email was nothing but an empty test message ("mail spamsink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx < /dev/null") sent to me at my regular email account, so it wasn't like I was being blocked by somebody at the other end. Besides, other versions of Fedora (6 and 8) that I have running on other machines here all worked.

Then, I went and said "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" and the test message went right out, cleared from /var/spool/mqueue, and appeared in my In box. Just like it was supposed to.

I should note that I did this on two different F9 installations, one a VMware virtual machine and the other a "real" machine. It behaved the same on both, and in each case, saying "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" fixed it, for now at least.

Sendmail was evidently wedged in some way, so that it looked like it was running but wasn't really doing anything. For now it appears to be working but now I get to try to figure out what it was that made it misbehave on two different machines.

As for MTAs, I hear you, James, about trying something besides sendmail, and I may do that at some point, but I really don't know much about MTAs or how to set them up so it's going to take some research.

Thanks again...