Re: The assignment of numerical addresses for Domain Names ??

William Case wrote:
Hi;

My question is quite narrow.  I am not looking for generalized
explanations of IPv4.
When ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers or one of its clients,
or any other IANA RIR) assigns a /8, or /16 number and registers a new
domain name is there any rules, policy or usual practice in the
assignment that gives a hint to the nature of the entity that has
received a certain address?
E.g. If I see 64.71.255.198, could I reasonably say "That's a name
server, or, that's a Rogers Cable Inc. address" or glean any other
information about the organization, company or purpose?  Or are all such
address assignments simply arbitrary?  If there is such a rule, policy
or usual practice, do you know where I could find it and/or see a table
of such assignments.

I have done my google due diligence.  Every site, official and
otherwise, remains silent on the question.  That usually portends a
negative; there is no such policy -- but ya' never know.

Use "whois" to glean information...

egreshko@misty winXPPro-EN]$ whois 64.71.255.198
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

OrgName:    Rogers Cable Communications Inc.
OrgID:      RCC-104
Address:    One Mount Pleasant
City:       Toronto
StateProv:  ON
PostalCode: M4Y-2Y5
Country:    CA

NetRange:   64.71.240.0 - 64.71.255.255
CIDR:       64.71.240.0/20
NetName:    ROGERS-CAB-104
NetHandle:  NET-64-71-240-0-1
Parent:     NET-64-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Assignment
NameServer: NS2.YM.RNC.NET.CABLE.ROGERS.COM
NameServer: NS2.WLFDLE.RNC.NET.CABLE.ROGERS.COM
NameServer: NS3.YM.RNC.NET.CABLE.ROGERS.COM
NameServer: NS3.WLFDLE.RNC.NET.CABLE.ROGERS.COM
Comment:
RegDate:    2004-03-08
Updated:    2006-12-05

OrgTechHandle: IPMAN-ARIN
OrgTechName:   IP MANAGE
OrgTechPhone:  +1-416-935-4729
OrgTechEmail:  ipmanage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away.
		-- Robert Orben