OT: Re: subpixel LCD fonts smoothing

David Hláčik wrote:
So, guys ... what about now? :)
http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora_fixed.bmp D.

2008/8/4 David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx>

    Well i have same font sizes, same resolution, same DPI, LCD
    subpixel hinting full, still weird not nice
D.

    On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Jorge Fábregas
    <jorge.fabregas@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jorge.fabregas@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        On Sunday 03 August 2008 05:22:07 pm David Hláčik wrote:
        > So far, i have found on forums there is no difference. So
        after installing
        > that freetype-freeword font smoothing on Fedora 9 will be
        same as on Ubuntu?

        Well, it's not that straight forward.  To simplify the matter,
        there are two
        things:  rendering engine (and how it is configured, e.g
        subpixel hinting
        etc) and the other is the typeface itself :)  So if you want
        to compare a
        particular version of Ubuntu with a particular version of
        Fedora you need to
        check those 2 things, at least.

        Regarding the freetype world package...Once you install it you
        need to enable
        subpixel hinting in your Desktop Environment (KDE or GNOME or
        whatever).   In
        KDE you need to go to Control Center/Fonts and then enable "use
        anti-aliasing" and once there click "Configure" to enable
        subpixel hinting.

        HTH,
        Jorge

        p.d Also you need to check if the dpi for your monitor is the
        same on both
        distros...Google is your friend.

Oooh, I forgot that Mozilla HQ is in my town! I should start complaining to them in person instead of filing in bugzilla :D