Re: subpixel LCD fonts smoothing

Should i point this questions to fedora devel mailinglists?

Thanks!

DAvid

2008/8/4 David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx>
Well, i followed tutorial to install ported rpms from ubuntu : http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=186789
and then also installed from livna freetype-freeworld.
According to tutorial freetype-freeworld only provides 2 patches to freetype i.e patented bytecode interpreter and subpixel rendering .

Actually it really interests me the way how fonts are rendered. As i understand correctly, Fedora does not have those "renderings" becouse they are patented , or not open?

To open discussion i found this :

David Tuner of freetype created some excellent patches which provide superior subpixel redering which very much improves the appearance of fonts. At one time, these patches were readily available and could be applied to the packages of the day. Since then, David Turner made the decision that these patches could infringe on patents and so since then, these patches have not been maintained and upgraded to the latest packages. The freetype portion of the patches does exist in current freetype packages, but is shipped disabled. Unfortunately, there are 2 other areas where patches are needed and these are not maintained: cairo and Xft. Without the cairo and Xft patches, I could not get acceptable subpixel rendering. Searching for the magic lamp, led to this howto, as I might want to implement this again, and I am certain that I will loose the notes. As every howto on subpixel rendering I found was wanting, this one probably is also.

Thanks in advance!

David

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 04 August 2008 08:54:00 am David Hláčik wrote:
> o, guys ... what about now? :)
>
> http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora_fixed.bmp

It looks nice. Similar to mine but then, this is a subjective matter :)

So... enabling subpixel hinting system-wide & firefox-wise did it for u?

--
Jorge