Re: F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:01 -0700, Craig White wrote:
It's no different than adding myself to lp group. While that might
allow me to print, it doesn't really solve the problem and I can get
it to print anyway.

It does raise the point that some definition of what some system groups
are meant to be for.  When you see groups like lp or disk are you
supposed to add yourself to them for special privileges, or are they
just for the system software to use for itself.

I always thought they were there to let you customize access for users, as well as for system software. There are other ways to control user access now, but they were the original way to do it.

With the "helper" programs we have today, there is less need for adding users to the system groups.

Mikkel