Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Scott van Looy wrote:

> > It Just Works(TM) under gnome on a fresh install of Fedora 8 -
> > System/Preferences/Internet and Network/Remote Desktop Under
> > Fedora 7 with desktop effects on you could control the desktop but
> > couldn't see what you were doing on VNC Under fedora 6 it should
> > work too.
> >
> > run vncpasswd first as the local user to set a password, then
> > connect to the IP and :1 after enabling "remote desktop". Though I
> > still don't know how to connect to the login screen via vnc...
>
> I think you are running vino if you start it from inside gnome -
> which means you can't get a login screen through it and if your
> machine reboots when you are away you won't get back in at all.
> The advantage of the x module is that it works even at the login
> screen and regardless of which window manager you start.  Or it did,
> back when it worked at all.

i was just playing with that feature and, yes, when you enable "Remote
Desktop", you're invoking the vino server and not the stock vncserver,
which i'm assuming are two totally independent servers and can be
configured separately.

which inspires the question -- where does vino-server save its
per-user config info?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA