Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... snip ...

> > ok, here's what i've been able to figure out, and others can fix any
> > errors before i wiki it.
> >
> > on the server side, run:
> >
> >   $ x0vncserver PasswordFile=/home/rpjday/.vnc/passwd
> >
> > (or whichever password file represents the appropriate user.
> > according to the man page, you *must* specify a VNC password file to
> > be used, which makes sense.)
> >
> >   when you do that, you'll see something like:
> > Sun Jan 20 10:17:12 2008
> >  main:        XTest extension present - version 2.2
> >  main:        Listening on port 5900
> >
> >   then, on the client side, connect to that exact port:
> >
> >   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.200::5900
> >
> > that appears to give me the remote control over that desktop session.
> >
> >   thoughts?
> >
> > rday
> >
> Worked for me, however, I tried it on the same computer (localhost)
> and it got a whole bunch of cascading windows and I could barely
> exit!  Now, I just wonder what the best practice it to do this
> automaticly on boot. I'd rather do this for my MythTV box than log
> in as the same user on a different session.

hmmmm ... i never tried that particular scenario, but i'm aware now
that the newer and better way to grab the native X display is to use
the vnc.so module.  having said that, i've been unable to get that to
work, despite a couple readable online pages.

so, if anyone has an actual (heh heh) recipe for taking control of a
remote desktop using vnc.so, feel free to drop me a note -- i'll test
it, then wiki it for others.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA