Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

Today Les Mikesell did spake thusly:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

hmmmm ... i never tried that particular scenario, but i'm aware now
that the newer and better way to grab the native X display is to use
the vnc.so module.  having said that, i've been unable to get that to
work, despite a couple readable online pages.

so, if anyone has an actual (heh heh) recipe for taking control of a
remote desktop using vnc.so, feel free to drop me a note -- i'll test
it, then wiki it for others.

I used it some versions back but I think the reason I quit was that it quit working at some point in the switch to Xorg. The current version seems to be named libvnc.so but I'm not sure if it is fixed and I don't have anything later than FC6 to test. It should just be a matter of adding the Load statement in your Xorg.conf and having a password file. This advice looks promising:

It Just Works(TM) under gnome on a fresh install of Fedora 8 - System/Preferences/Internet and Network/Remote Desktop Under Fedora 7 with desktop effects on you could control the desktop but couldn't see what you were doing on VNC
Under fedora 6 it should work too.

run vncpasswd first as the local user to set a password, then connect to the IP and :1 after enabling "remote desktop". Though I still don't know how to connect to the login screen via vnc...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Wash: "Can we maybe vote on the whole murdering people issue?"
				--Episode #1, "Serenity"