Resolution - Re: Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 07:42 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > I can't imagine an LCD monitor failing for that sort of reason. CRTs get
> > damaged, that way, because the EHT used to drive the tube is derived
> > from the video signals (directly or indirectly).  The voltage changes
> > with the frequency, and can go too far from tolerable.
> >
> > LCDs don't work that way.  Their power isn't related to the incoming
> > video signal.  I'd be more inclined to believe three things:
> >
> > 1:  You're plugging it into something that's not providing a useable
> > signal, so you're not seeing anything.
> >
> > 2:  Damage to the video connectors or cables.
> >
> > 3:  Pure chance that a fault developed at the same time.  It could well
> > be that if you'd picked up the monitor, and not done anything else but
> > move it, that a fault might have developed.
> >
> > --

The conclusion of this: I called Planar, I gave them the serial number
and from that they knew who bought the monitor. Fortunately, it was only
about halfway through the 3-year warranty. I did not have to send any
documentation to them. They sent me a replacement by 2nd-day FedEx and I
shipped the broken monitor back in the same box at no cost. The last
tech I spoke with thought it was a dead backlight.

So far, the replacement works fine.

Rick B.