Re: Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

> I can't imagine an LCD monitor failing for that sort of reason. CRTs get
> damaged, that way, because the EHT used to drive the tube is derived
> from the video signals (directly or indirectly).  The voltage changes
> with the frequency, and can go too far from tolerable.
>
> LCDs don't work that way.  Their power isn't related to the incoming
> video signal.  I'd be more inclined to believe three things:
>
> 1:  You're plugging it into something that's not providing a useable
> signal, so you're not seeing anything.
>
> 2:  Damage to the video connectors or cables.
>
> 3:  Pure chance that a fault developed at the same time.  It could well
> be that if you'd picked up the monitor, and not done anything else but
> move it, that a fault might have developed.
>
> --
> (Currently testing FC5, but still running FC4, if that's important.)

The monitor doesn't work with either the analog or the digital cable and
I've used the cables with other computers and they work. I've tried
three computers and there is no display plus I cannot bring up the OSD
menu. So I guess I'm stuck with #3. I've checked and the monitor has a
3-year warranty with another year left so I'll try to have it repaired
under warranty.

Rick B.