Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

On Friday 28 July 2006 11:06, Tony Nelson wrote:
>At 3:35 PM +0100 7/28/06, Anne Wilson wrote:

>>That should have said 'onto a DVD+RW' disk.  Sorry, it was very late by
>> then.

>>or -RW disks.
>>
>>> cdrecord -prcap
>>>.
>>> will display all this informaation on the capabilities of your DVD
>>> drive.
>>
>>That's very interesting.  It says that the drive can burn DVDs up to 6x.
>>  The only format of DVD that it claims to write is DVD-R - the very one
>> that was giving me problems.  DVD+R and DVD+RW are not mentioned at
>> all.  The drive must be older than I thought!
>
>No.  Cdrecord has no knowledge of DVD+Plus, won't list it, and can't
>actually burn it.  I suspect that some drives attempt to translate
> DVD-Dash commands to burn Plus media if that's what's in the drive,
> which would be why it seems to work in some cases.

Which probably goes a long way toward explaining the occasional failure
I've had.  I have both types of media on the shelf ATM.

>Growisofs does know about DVD+Plus.  For Plus media one should use
>growisofs and not cdrecord.

Ok, I'll buy that, but where do we configure k3b to guarantee that?

>>It looks as though most drives offered now are double-layer.  I presume
>> that they are generally supported?  I don't see myself writing
>> double-layer for some time :-)

I have one too, was all enthused, till I priced the media... A 4 to 6x
price premium?  Nahhh...

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: