Re: Burning backup to dvd - Last word

On Friday 28 July 2006 15:13, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 23:14 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 July 2006 19:38, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Although I can only speculate why.
> > >
> > > My new disks didn't arrive today, and I haven't yet ordered the new
> > > drive, so not expecting any success I stuck in a once-used DVD-RW disk
> > > and fired up k3b.  I set it to burn at 2x and verify.  'All files seem
> > > binary equal' - and it reads in konqueror on this box.
> > >
> > > So - disk format?  Possibly.  Burn speed?  I think I'm backing that in
> > > the light of previous experiences.
> > >
> > > Thanks to all the people who tried so hard to help me.  I think I'll
> > > probably still get a new drive, though.
> >
> > I realise now that the disk that did burn correctly was not a DVD-R, but
> > a DVD+R.  Previously the drive had burned either type.  I have tried
> > several -R and -RW disks in k3b, and k3b did not recognise any of them.
> > (The one that apparently burned from cdrecord/command-line yet could not
> > be read is a separate mystery.)  I have now burned another backup onto a
> > DVD-RW disk.

That should have said 'onto a DVD+RW' disk.  Sorry, it was very late by then.

> > So, it seems that either k3b, cdrecord, or the drive, no longer will
> > accept -R or 0RW disks.
or -RW disks.

> cdrecord -prcap
>.
> will display all this informaation on the capabilities of your DVD
> drive.

That's very interesting.  It says that the drive can burn DVDs up to 6x.  The
only format of DVD that it claims to write is DVD-R - the very one that was
giving me problems.  DVD+R and DVD+RW are not mentioned at all.  The drive
must be older than I thought!

It looks as though most drives offered now are double-layer.  I presume that
they are generally supported?  I don't see myself writing double-layer for
some time :-)

Anne