Re: Burning backup to dvd

On Thursday 27 July 2006 07:42, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Thursday 27 July 2006 11:38, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Poohba wrote:
>> > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>> >
>> > /dev/dvd should be the drive.  mine is /dev/hdc and i just use that
>> > instead of symlink'n it
>> >
>> > growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files
>> > works for me with no problem also.  I have never tried to append.  I
>> > missed a lot of your posts so I don't know what has already been
>> > tried. I apologize for any repeated information.
>> >
>> > gives what error?  If it starts at all then the media is fine.  If it
>> > fails immediately it could be the media unless the error is more
>> > specific.

>> This is a bad idea, you should ALWAYS burn DVD's with UDF only, burning
>> with ISO is a very bad idea, for instance, if you burn a file > 2GB on
>> an ISO, you will only be able to read the first 2GB of it.  There are
>> other problems as well.
>
>OK, I'm struggling to find disks other than the brand that the burner is
>unhappy with - new supply coming tomorrow - but assuming I can find one,
> what command do you recommend to get the udf burn?  I should also say
> that this burner is not so new, and on the same-model burner that I have
> used a lot I always use slow speed burning in k3b, so if it's possible
> to put a speed limiter in, I would prefer to.
>
>Anne

k3b can do the speed limit thing, and I was sure I could find a place in
the menu's to select the filesystem, but it must be a thing of the past as
that option seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.  Possibly the
manpages might enlighten.

Also, and I don't recall where I got them, but I have 2 versions of
cdrecord showing in the the settings/k3bsetup menu, one is Jorg's
cdrecord-2.1a37 and the other is a fork called cdrecord-2.1-dvd, forked I
suspect because of Jorg's petty recalcitrance over the "rapid" pace of
kernel developement.  He's still bound and determined the only legal
kernel for a linux distro is a 2.4 kernel.  Shrug.  He loudly proclaims
his expertise about such things has no equal on the planet but refuses to
add support for 2.6 features with its newer, far more sensible way of
handling device access without also makeing sure you see his sermon on the
subject in the form of meaningless warning messages.  He may well be
talented, but the attitude sure gets old, fast.  So you might google for
cdrecord-2.1-dvd, but its probably in the dvdtools package.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: