Re: Burning backup to dvd

On Thursday 27 July 2006 11:38, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Poohba wrote:
> > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
> >
> > /dev/dvd should be the drive.  mine is /dev/hdc and i just use that
> > instead of symlink'n it
> >
> > growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files
> > works for me with no problem also.  I have never tried to append.  I
> > missed a lot of your posts so I don't know what has already been tried.
> > I apologize for any repeated information.
> >
> > gives what error?  If it starts at all then the media is fine.  If it
> > fails immediately it could be the media unless the error is more
> > specific.

> >> Yes
> >>

> This is a bad idea, you should ALWAYS burn DVD's with UDF only, burning
> with ISO is a very bad idea, for instance, if you burn a file > 2GB on an
> ISO, you will only be able to read the first 2GB of it.  There are other
> problems as well.

OK, I'm struggling to find disks other than the brand that the burner is
unhappy with - new supply coming tomorrow - but assuming I can find one, what
command do you recommend to get the udf burn?  I should also say that this
burner is not so new, and on the same-model burner that I have used a lot I
always use slow speed burning in k3b, so if it's possible to put a speed
limiter in, I would prefer to.

Anne