Re: DNS Problem Maybe

Craig Preston wrote:
I have a strange problem that seems to be DNS related. From a command prompt I can ping an address, say www.google.com <http://www.google.com> and I will get a reponse. If I type a web address into the web browser (firefox) it can't resolve the name and the connection times out. If I put the IP address in the web browser it works and the web page is displayed. This also seems to affect yum. If I do a yum update or whatever, it times out and cannot connect to the update server.

All my networking settings look correct, it is strange. Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Have a look in /etc/nsswitch.conf. In my configuration, I have a line as:

	hosts:      files dns

Without this line, I had similar yum problems.

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],