Re: DNS Problem Maybe

Thanks, seems to be working now. Is there anything that modifies that file automatically? such as DHCP handing out WINS addresses or something, as I have never modified myself.

On 27/07/06, Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Craig Preston wrote:
> I have a strange problem that seems to be DNS related. From a command
> prompt I can ping an address, say www.google.com < http://www.google.com>
> and I will get a reponse. If I type a web address into the web browser
> (firefox) it can't resolve the name and the connection times out. If I
> put the IP address in the web browser it works and the web page is
> displayed. This also seems to affect yum. If I do a yum update or
> whatever, it times out and cannot connect to the update server.
>
> All my networking settings look correct, it is strange. Any help would
> be appreciated.
>
> Craig

Have a look in /etc/nsswitch.conf. In my configuration, I have a line as:

        hosts:      files dns

Without this line, I had similar yum problems.

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],