DNS Problem Maybe

I have a strange problem that seems to be DNS related. From a command prompt I can ping an address, say www.google.com and I will get a reponse. If I type a web address into the web browser (firefox) it can't resolve the name and the connection times out. If I put the IP address in the web browser it works and the web page is displayed. This also seems to affect yum. If I do a yum update or whatever, it times out and cannot connect to the update server.

All my networking settings look correct, it is strange. Any help would be appreciated.

Craig