Re: Laptop CPU Temp increase when idle - FC5

Terry Snyder wrote:
On 4/3/06, *Jim Cornette* <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Chris Jones wrote:

     >> Do you see any change in temps right after you go from a system
    that has
     >> been idle for a long period and after 5 or 10 minutes of use?
     >
     > Well, depends what you mean by "use" - Do you have cpu speedstepping
     > working ? For me the cpu temp is a strong function of how fast
    the cpu
     > is. Idling, it sits at 600MHz and with that the temps stay low. If I
     > read a few emails etc. for 5-10 mins, this does not really work
    the cpu
     > so it stays at 600MHZ and the temps stay low.
     > If I start really exercising the cpu, build a package etc., it
    goes up
     > to its full 1500MHZ, and then the cpu warms up and gkrellm kicks
    in with
     > the fans.
     >
     > I have not really paid that much attention to the temps, I will
    do and
     > report back, but I cannot say I've noticed anything different to
    how it
     > was with FC4.
     >
     > cheers Chris
     >

     >> Clifford

    My temperature and speed is about the same as in FC4 and earlier
    versions of FC. gkrellm itself causes the cpu to go into the maximum
    speed when I opened it for a few minutes. Closing it down again let
    things settle down again. Maybe gkrellm is the problem.

    I have xscreensavers-base installed and do not see any speedup in cpu
    utilization. I do not have gnome-screensaver installed either.

    Jim

    --
      18:34:36 up 6 days, 11:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.55, 0.52