Re: Kernel Upgrade Woes

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- Nathaniel Hall <nathaniel.d.hall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Last week I attempted to update my system with the
newest kernel and
software updates for Core 4.  My usual routine is to
do a minimum
install + Development Tools.  Once I have the system
updated I will do a
yum install kdebase to install KDE and X and a yum
install kernel-devel
to make sure the kernel stuff NVidia needs is there.
 Lastly, I download
and install the NVidia driver.

This time, that did not work.  It tells me that it
failed to compile the
module.  I forget the exact errors that are in the
log file, but it is
the same no matter what.  Has anybody else had the
same problems when
trying to compile the module for the 2.6.16-1.2069
kernel?

It ( Nvidia Installer ) looks for the kernel source,
and does not find it, it bails out.  The kernel-devel
package is not sufficient to install nvidia binary
driver.  It has happened to me also.  Nvidia driver
worked with FC4 2.6.15 kernel, but with
2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 it does not.  It is ok in my case I
can live without nvidia driver.

There are nvidia RPMs at rpm.livna.org. Highly recommended. And they install with yum.

--
		Matthew Saltzman