Re: Laptop CPU Temp increase when idle - FC5

Chris Jones wrote:

Do you see any change in temps right after you go from a system that has
been idle for a long period and after 5 or 10 minutes of use?

Well, depends what you mean by "use" - Do you have cpu speedstepping working ? For me the cpu temp is a strong function of how fast the cpu is. Idling, it sits at 600MHz and with that the temps stay low. If I read a few emails etc. for 5-10 mins, this does not really work the cpu so it stays at 600MHZ and the temps stay low. If I start really exercising the cpu, build a package etc., it goes up to its full 1500MHZ, and then the cpu warms up and gkrellm kicks in with the fans.

I have not really paid that much attention to the temps, I will do and report back, but I cannot say I've noticed anything different to how it was with FC4.

cheers Chris

Clifford

My temperature and speed is about the same as in FC4 and earlier versions of FC. gkrellm itself causes the cpu to go into the maximum speed when I opened it for a few minutes. Closing it down again let things settle down again. Maybe gkrellm is the problem.

I have xscreensavers-base installed and do not see any speedup in cpu utilization. I do not have gnome-screensaver installed either.

Jim

--
 18:34:36 up 6 days, 11:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.55, 0.52