Re: Starting programs as another user

On 10/11/05, Craig Thomas <cjtinhp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 19:35 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I need users 'dotancohen' and 'work'  (that each have their own
> > /home/dotancohen and /home/work) to be able to read and write each
> > others files (and open programs as the other) as if they were one and
> > the same, with out asking for passwords.
>
> This is two things. A case for sudoers/sudo and *nix file permissions.
> Starting a program or running a command as another user and having write
> permissions on that user's files are two, different things.
>
> You can achieve your goal a number of ways.
>
> For permissions, you could set up a new group, and add dotancohen and
> work to the new group. Then chown/chrgp the files
>
> #chown -R dotencohen:newgroup /some/path
>
> for each dotencohen and work.  Then set the group write bit on the
> files/directories you intend to share.
>
> #chmod -R g+r /same/paths/as/before
>
> I'd pause and make sure the permissions work.  You should be able to
> read and write files in /same/paths/as/before  as either user.
>

> Sudoers could look like this [use visudo to edit]:
>
> %pals = dotancohen,work
>
> %pals localhost = (dotancohen) NOPASSWD: ALL
> %pals localhost = (work) NOPASSWD: ALL
>

> OR  this:
>

> work localhost = (dotancohen) NOPASSWD : ALL
> dotancohen localhost = (work) NOPASSWD : ALL
>
> This is just quick, not sure everything is exact, but should get you
> started.
>
> Hope you had a better, more productive day today :)
>
> Craig

Thanks, Craig. You saved me hours of googling I think.

Must I restart something for this to take effect? I am still being
asked for a password. Normally I would just reboot without asking such
a redundant question, but in my experience (how little it is), this
should not be nessacary. And to restart now would be a pain as I am in
the middle of other things...

I tried populating visudo with both methods, after creating the group
"pals" and making both dotancohen and work members, but no go.

Dotan