Re: Fedora Core DNS

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 03:50 +1000, Maung Nanda Linn Aung wrote:

> now i give genitech.com.au for testing, but i do not have that domain
> name registered in reality.. :)

Okay, at least you didn't pick a currently in-use domain, but it might
be used by someone, at some stage in the future.  It's not a good idea
to invent domains.  There are some reserved domain names that you can
use without causing problems for anyone else:   localhost, test,
invalid, and example.com.  You'd use them as top-level domains.

e.g.  my-pc.test  and your-pc.test

Test is probably the best to use.  Trying to use localhost can be a
problem on some systems (they always want to use it as 127.0.0.1), using
invalid will give you grief if you want to test mail (many servers are
set to not post to it), example.com is there for examples and can be
used without bothering other people, but it might give you grief as
there are public DNS records for it already.

> [root@genitech ~]# dig www.genitech.com.au
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> www.genitech.com.au
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 57815
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;www.genitech.com.au.           IN      A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> com.au.                 10741   IN      SOA     ns1.ausregistry.net.
> dns.ausregistry.net.au. 2005685696 14400 3600 3600000 86400
>
> ;; Query time: 60 msec
> ;; SERVER: 192.168.116.2#53(192.168.116.2)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Oct 10 03:36:43 2005
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 112

I get a similar result.  It means the DNS server you queried (the one
three lines above [SERVER: 192.168.116.2#53(192.168.116.2)] didn't have
the answer, and expected the Australian registrar (.com.au.) to have the
answer, and it didn't.

Now, this means that if you've tried creating a local record for that
domain, you haven't succeeded.  Probably, you need to restart your DNS
server to make it notice a changed record, though I think the new GUI
tool manages all of that for you.

Or that you should be asking *your* local DNS test server instead of the
normal DNS server for your network.  You can make dig query a specific
DNS server by putting its address in your query after the @ sign.

e.g. dig  my-pc.test @127.0.0.1

> my newly created file under /var/named/chroot/var/named is
>
> [root@genitech named]# cat genitech.com.au.hosts
> @        IN SOA www.genitech.com.au. www.genitech.com.au. (
>         1100000002      ;       Serial
>         8H              ;       Refresh
>         2H              ;       Retry
>         1W              ;       Expire
>         1D)             ;       Minimum TTL
>
>                         IN NS dns.genitech.com.au.
> www     IN A    192.168.0.1
>
> dns     IN      1D      A       192.168.0.1
> ftp     IN      1D      A       192.168.0.1
>         IN      1D      A       192.168.0.1
> www     IN A    127.0.0.1
>
> mail    IN      1D      A       192.168.0.1

Which looks *mostly* okay.

After SOA you've got www.genitech.com.au twice.  The first one should be
your name server address, the second one the e-mail address for the DNS
record manager (with the first unescaped dot representing the @ sign,
because the @ sign has other meanings in the DNS records).

e.g. @ IN SOA ns.test. hostmaster.test. (

     Would specify ns.test. as the authoritative name server,
     and <hostmaster@test> as the contact address (hostmaster being
     the customary address for this sort of thing).

It's customary to have an MX record for a domain, giving the mailserver
address for any mail to it.  In its absence it may be presumed, but I
wouldn't rely on that.

e.g. Under your NS record, include an MX record, something like this:

     IN NS ns.test.
     MX 1 mail.test.

Though this isn't going to matter if you're not going to test any mail
system on that domain, and the domain is only for internal use.

You've got two different A records for the www subdomain, so expect to
get different answers to some queries for its IP address.

By the way, there's a convention of naming your DNS server as the ns
subdomain of your domain.  e.g. ns.test.  Of course you can call it
"dns.test.", it's up to you, but it's usually best to follow the norms.

NB:  Read the guides about putting trailing dots, or omitting them, in
the right places if you don't already know about that.  Simply put,
without the trailing dot, it's presumed to be a sub-domain, and will get
your domain prepended to it.  With the dot, it's presumed to be a
fully-qualified domain name, and will be used, as-is.

> and the lines i edited in /etc/named are
> zone "genitech.com.au" IN {
>

> allow-update {
>         none;
>         192.168.0.1;
>         localhost;
> };
>

> type master;
>         file "genitech.com.au.hosts";
> _________________________________

"allow-update" with "none" and some addresses to allow updates sounds a
bit contradictory to me, but I'm not looking at the manuals at the
moment.

> btw, i'd like to try static one as well,

These are static entries you've been trying out.

>  but i have limitations while i am studying here (down under), only
> laptop with me. but i am using static ip from Dodo with D-link 302g
> ADSL modem, do u think i can try setup server from home? i meant, i
> have a few domain names i bought from gkg.net too. just wondering..
> thanks everyone for your precious time and reading..
> cheers.

Well you can do as much as you want to, within your own network.  Not
sure about what you can beyond that.  I don't know whether dodo allows
servers, and even if they do, they wouldn't be happy if you set
something up badly.

If you own domain names, then do what you like with them with your
configuration testing.  If you use them on the internet but want to do
internal testing without conflicts, use a subdomain internally.

e.g. If you happened to own example.com and used it on the net, as
example.com and www.example.com you could use lan.example.com at home,
so your internal testing queries wouldn't get muddled with outside
records.

I read messages from the public lists.