Re: Fedora Core DNS

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 20:46 +1000, Maung Nanda Linn Aung wrote:

> How do i know whether my DNS is setup properly?

The "dig" program is good for testing.

> because i tried to add zone and reverse zone in my /etc/named.conf
> and then, i tried nslookup and it doesn't work
> once i put
>
> >server localhost
> then nslookup will show it right.
> such as
> Default server: localhost
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> then
> >www.testserver.com
> server: localhost
> address: 127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name: www.testserver.com
> address: 127.0.0.1
>
> my domainname is testserver and i created testserver.hosts
> under /var/named to give SOA.. and i added things in
> system-config-bind under the www.testserver.com , ADD, IPv4 address..
> such as
> mail.testserver.com ftp.testserver.com

We can't really tell what you've done, you'd be better to post us your
configuration files.  Start with /etc/named.conf and the newer files
in /var/named/chroot/, specifically the ones you're modifying.

> Because i am supposed to config all the services (DNS, httpd, ftp,
> mail, etc) in fedora.. but i do not have real ip address to configure,
> so i just wanted to know how to make my DNS server work without using
> static ip address.

Make up some IP addresses that aren't in use, use something from one of
the private IP ranges.  e.g. If your network uses addresses 192.168.0.0
to 192.168.255.255, pick one or two that aren't used by your network as
examples to test with.

Making DNS serving work with dynamic IP addresses is more tricky.  I
wouldn't attempt that until you're familiar with configuring static
addresses into it.

I read messages from the public lists.