Re: libc.so.6: Cannot open shared object file: Permission denied

Paul Howarth wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

If you have ever booted with SELinux disabled (or share a Linux
partition with a different distro that doesn't use SELinux), you will
have unlabelled files on your system. Accesses to these files from
SELinux-protected apps won't work properly.

So /sbin/kmodule (which didn't work) would be an SELinux-protected app, and ls, cat etc. unprotected?

Sounds possible. Whether commands are protected or not sometimes depends on the contexts they are run from. For instance, if httpd is started from the initscript, it's protected, but if you start it yourself from the command line, it isn't.

Right...

Maybe the problem is that the upgrade I did also enabled SELinux? Seems to me that if it did, it also ought to ensure it installed files with the right labels, though...

It *will* install files with correct labels, but if you're doing an upgrade then you will already have lots of unlabelled files.

Of course. However, I would have expected it to install new versions of everything that was involved in this case.

I do think that the installer should advise a relabel if you're upgrading a systen that wasn't previously using SELinux to be an SELinux-enabled one though.

Definitely.

Also, I have to admit that I don't even *know* if I enabled SELinux. I've never consciously done anything to enable it, nor disable it, in the past. Not that I can remember, anyway... It may or may have been on under FC3 - I've never really taken notice of it. And I'm 100% sure that I didn't set up anything in particular related to security during the upgrade - simply because the upgrade installer doesn't ask about these things.

- Toralf