Device ownership usb-dvdrecorder vs. builtin cdrecorder

First off FC4 is fairly leading edge for someone new. I believe I suggested to the person having DVD problems that they try a less leading edge distribution. Discussing and trying to figure out why he was having fits with DVD recognition led me to curiousity about DVD burners that use USB. I purchased a Lite-On as lsusb describes below. The permissions for the device are not set correctly. The owner is root vs. the cdrecorder which is set to console owner. The ls -la output is below the lsusb output. What component would a bug lke this be filed against? USB, kernel, the device manager?

The USB dvdrecorder works fine if I chown the device to jim:jim. I am about to try jim:disk since the cdrecorder seems to work fine with the group of disk. Using the same USB dvdrecorder on another FC4 installation (upgraded from FC3test to FC3, then to FC4). It did not get things right for an FC4 installation which is derived from FC4test to FC4 and now FC4+development. Other than trying to install FC3 then upgrading to FC4, what should be looked at to compare differences from FC3 that were hanging around on the FC4 upgrade that lead to a working system compared to an FC4 installation vs upgrade?

I cannot eject the mounted CD in the condition that it is permissioned at or burn to the device. I get an ICON on the desktop and the burn window comes up when a blank CD is inserted. Changing permissions on /dev/scd0 allows burning and ejection of the drive, as desired and expected. I still have to create a symlink for /dev/dvd to play DVD's with some programs. This is another issue though.

Thanks,
Jim

lsusb -vvv

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ecd:a100 Lite-On IT Corp.
Device Descriptor:
 bLength                18
 bDescriptorType         1
 bcdUSB               2.00
 bDeviceSubClass         0
 bDeviceProtocol         0
 bMaxPacketSize0        64
 idVendor           0x0ecd Lite-On IT Corp.
 idProduct          0xa100
 bcdDevice            0.01
 iManufacturer          56 USB2.0 External
 iProduct               72 Mass Storage Device
 iSerial                92 DEF10A0EB261
 bNumConfigurations      1
 Configuration Descriptor:
   bLength                 9
   bDescriptorType         2
   wTotalLength           32
   bNumInterfaces          1
   bConfigurationValue     1
   iConfiguration          0
   bmAttributes         0xc0
     Self Powered
   MaxPower                0mA
   Interface Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         4
     bInterfaceNumber        0
     bAlternateSetting       0
     bNumEndpoints           2
     bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
     bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
     bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
     iInterface              0
     Endpoint Descriptor:
       bLength                 7
       bDescriptorType         5
       bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
       bmAttributes            2
         Transfer Type            Bulk
         Synch Type               None
         Usage Type               Data
       wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
       bInterval               0
     Endpoint Descriptor:
       bLength                 7
       bDescriptorType         5
       bEndpointAddress     0x88  EP 8 IN
       bmAttributes            2
         Transfer Type            Bulk
         Synch Type               None
         Usage Type               Data
       wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
       bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
 bLength                10
 bDescriptorType         6
 bcdUSB               2.00
 bDeviceSubClass         0
 bDeviceProtocol         0
 bMaxPacketSize0        64
 bNumConfigurations      1

ls -la dvdwriter
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 Jul 27 21:44 dvdwriter -> scd0
[root@cornette-lt dev]# ls -la cdwriter
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Jul 27 13:01 cdwriter -> hdc
[root@cornette-lt dev]# ls -la hdc
brw-------  1 jim disk 22, 0 Jul 27 13:01 hdc
[root@cornette-lt dev]# ls -la scd0
brw-r-----  1 root disk 11, 0 Jul 27 21:44 scd0

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which is caused by greed and ignorance."
-- Cal Keegan