Re: patching a crashed hard drive

At 10:55 PM -0700 7/23/05, Craig White wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 22:44 -0700, Roy W. Erickson wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> My computer fell over hitting the floor with a pretty good thud, while
>> up and running. The screen froze along with the mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> It broke the CD-RW, but the machine booted anyway. I was very suspicious
>> about its integrity so I ran this:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null conv=noerror
>>
>> Sure enough I get "Input/Output errors" on certain segments of the HD
>>
>> What can I do to try to patch over these segments?
>----
>boot rescue disk
>
>e2fsck -cf /dev/hdX#
>substitute the proper drive letter for X and the proper partition number
>for #

After this the File System data structures will be (more or less) OK, but
the data in that area will still be bad.  The next step is to copy the hard
drive to a new one (the one below).

In fact, it might be better to get the new drive first, do an image copy
with dd to the new drive, and do the e2fsck there.  Only mount the old
drive Read Only, so that the damage (to the data structures and to the
actual data files) isn't made worse by attempts to "repair" the problem on
a disk that possibly doesn't function properly anymore.

>suggest that you replace the hard drive

Yes indeed, you should replace it right away.  After copying all the data
to a new drive (and noting which files must be recovered from backup -- or
just admitting that the data is lost if there is no backup), you could try
a full format of the old drive.  That will cause the drive to write to
every sector and mark as bad (and not use) the sectors in the damaged area.
If this works, you will have a smaller drive; if it doesn't, the drive will
tell you.