Re: List spam

At 5:09 PM +0100 7/23/05, Paul Howarth wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 18:06 +0200, nodata wrote:
>> list. He's spamming everyone.
>>
>> This has been requested before:
>>  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-April/msg00449.html
>
>And before that too. The problem is: he's not subscribed, at least not
>at that address (it must be being forwarded to there from somewhere
>else, and nobody knows which address that is).

The source might be found by having a list admin (script) send one unique
(numbered) message to each list member, through the mailing list gateway.
The one that comes back from uol.com.br will identify the impersonator.  It
might be possible to send fewer emails: it seems likely that whoever is
doing this pays uol.com.br to have an account and would therefore be in
Brazil, so starting with the Brazilian list members might result in the
fewest people being bothered (and ultimately the fewest number of
Brazilians having their email blocked by the rest of the world).  Doing
that might require some DNS hackery resolving the email domains to their
home country; I'd probably just annoy everybody once in order to keep it
simple.

Googling on Peter Whalley, I do see that in addition to the dead British
ones (and maybe some live ones) there is someone using that name claiming
to be in Brazil.

At the moment, I'm just doing as has been recommended on this list and
filtering all uol.com.br email to the trash.