Re: Catharsis - slowly my FC4 world crumbles around me

On Thursday 21 July 2005 06:52, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I'd like to go with Fedora
> because I'm trying to go open source as much as possible.
>
> I'm considering wiping the Linux partition and installing FC3
> Fresh.
>
> Or should I wait for FC5?

If FC4 is too much of task at this time then I'd suggest trying FC3
if you're determined to go with Fedora.  This, by no means,
suggests that you'll have fewer problems with FC3 but since FC3 has
been out longer there's a greater chance that more problems have
been worked out.

Since FC5 is a complete unknown at this point I'm not sure why you
might consider that as an alternative to FC4. It may turn out to
have as many, or more, problems than FC4.  What I find helpful is
to monitor the fedora-test-list and set up another PC to install an
upcoming release right from the first test releases and follow it
through to the official release.  This way you get to see, and more
importantly test, the software for problems that might crop up in
your daily use of the computer.  This will help to get those
problems addressed prior to the official release.  Since I don't
believe FC5 is going to be released until early next year, the FC5
testing phases should start near the end of this year.

If FC3 should prove too much of task and you still want an open
source solution you might want to look at some of the other
recommendations you've had like Centos, Ubuntu, etc.

Regards, Mike Klinke