Re: Red hat network Updates Not Signed;

At 1:03 AM -0500 7/17/05, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 13:42 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
>> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > "rpm --import" the appropriate GPG keys from /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/ and try
>> > again.
>> >
>> > It would be nice if the first use of up2date would do this, at least for
>> > RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora and RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-extras.
>>
>> Sounds like a regression from FC3.  Anyone bothered to file a bug yet?
>>

>Why consider that a bug?  An enhancement request maybe, but not a bug.
>Did FC3 do the import automagically?  If so, then yes it is a
>regression.  If not, then this is certainly not a regression.

It must have.  I sure didn't know anything about "importing keys" when I
started with Fedora.

>The default yum.conf and the .repo files have the ability to do an
>auto-import of the key if it has not yet been imported.  And any
>yum .repo file can do the same for its appropriate key.

I'm sure that the first thing I did myself was click on that throbbing red
"!" to see what it was about.  It turned out to be useful, so I've kept on
using it.  I also learned yum.

Yum will be a replacement when it integrates with a working throbbing red
"!".  At this point, it is a useful tool in its own right, but doesn't do
anything for the majority of Fedora users (who aren't on this list, if the
noise about how widely used Fedora is, is true).

It is typical in *nix to say that doing 90% of what users' want is enough,
and that 80% is just about as good as 90%, without any regard to whether
what got done connects together in a useful way.  FC3 had a working update
mechanism.  FC4 does not, because of a small but critical omission.  I
suppose that it does lessen the load on the servers.

>IMHO yum is the fedora way, up2date is the RH way.

And that's how it will stay until the Fedora way gets finished enough for
Red Hat to use.