Re: VDQ : search "/" how with FC4's GUI??

At 8:43 AM -0300 7/7/05, Ben Steeves wrote:
>On 7/7/05, Ben Steeves <ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 7/7/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > To go down the directory hierarchy, double-click on a
>> > right-pane folder (directory) entry.
>>
>> That's actually wrong.  You double-click on a left-pane *shortcut*
>> entry.  Those aren't directories.  There's no directory called
>> "Filesystem", and no directory "home"... there's *your* home
>> directory, which is /home/whatever, but that's not quite the same
>> thing.  Ditto "Desktop".
>
>I'm sorry, I just re-read that and I ought to have more coffee before
>replying to questions like these.  Yes, you do navigate down through
>the hierarchy using the right-pane.  How is that different than any
>other file requestor though?  Are you suggesting you'd prefer a
>hierarchal view?  If so, I can see that being a valid option, but it
>certainly wouldn't be my choice.

BTW, I'm using the FC3 default theme.  It doesn't much matter if there are
"better" ones, as most users are using the default.

The "Open" button is used for both lists and for staying in the dialog and
for exiting it.  If it must do all those things, it's caption should change
to reflect what it's going to do.

The left list pane should accept single-clicks to set the right list pane.
This would have no adverse affect on removing shortcuts; in fact, showing
the context might be good.  Double-clicks in the left list pane have no
useful meaning (currently they mean "what a single-click should have done").

The active pane should be more obviously hilited, say with a bold border, etc.

Shortcuts in the left list pane should also appear in the outer window's
combo box menu.  In the Search window that menu isn't configurable.

A hierarchical view in the right list would be a good choice for users.

When in the non-hierarchical view, a popup menu (that looks like one!)
above the list would allow seeing the context and changing directories, but
would hide the extraneous info when it isn't needed.  The present system
works OK when the names are short enough.  It's certainly not as horked up
as MOSX's "browser" view.