Re: VDQ : search "/" how with FC4's GUI??

On 7/6/05, beartooth <beartooth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But your report seems at variance with what I see, or the way I understand
> something. If I change the default "Home" under "Search for Files" to
> "Other," I just get a list of files in /home/btth (my userID's home
> folder)

That's where is *starts*, but if you click on "Filesystem" on the
left-hand side (where you can define your own shortcuts if you want by
clicking Add, by the way), you can direct the search to any point on
your filesystem.

-- without even the .files, nor any way of displaying them

Try right-clicking on the file list.  While you're at it, try typing
the first few letters of the file or directory you're looking for...

-- much
> less files like /etc or /usr. I don't even see a way to go up to /home and
> back down to /home/backups (which I created, and scp'd stuff into as btth)
> instead of staying in /home/btth.

That should be obvious given the hints I've given you so far :-)

> Unlike the other choices there, "filesystem" does give me two columns of
> lists. Clicking on one in the right-hand column ungrays the Add button
> under the other column; clicking on one in that column does nothing I can
> see.

A single click to select & launch is a KDE-ism.  Try double-clicking.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx