Re: FC4 ssh strangeness

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:09:02 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> beartooth wrote:
>>  [....]
>> Is this a bug? Can I do something about it?
>
> It could be.  Try using different terminal programs and see which ones
> are affected.  gnome-terminal?  xterm?  konsole?

Well, if I do "echo $TERM" I get "xterm" -- but the Properties window when
I right-click the launcher tells me as expected that it's a
gnome-terminal; and if I go through the GUI menus to More Preferences and
then to Terminal, it's set as it should be to "GNOME terminal." (My aged
eyeballs need the color-coding that neither xterm nor konsole has, afaik.)

As for opening a KDE konsole, as I used to at times under earlier Fedoras,
I don't see any way to do that -- except to change the choice in More
Preferences, and open a new one, maybe. I'll do that if I have to, but I
hesitate: is it safe? Or is there another way?

Let me explain. I keep three terminals open, with three to five tabs each,
using different profiles, on three different workspaces -- and use all of
them constantly, for very different things. I'd hate to have something
change the lot, as the indispensable profile editor habitually does with
color coding, and have to reconstitute them all. Is there a command with &
that I can do, as user or even as root, on a gnome-terminal, that will
open a konsole and not affect anything else?

Maybe, if there's no easier way, I ought to add a test user, set his
preference to KDE instead of Gnome, log out and back in, and try that ...

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1&4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;