Re: FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Program:   Unicore BIOS Agent Version 1.8
BIOS Date: 07/16/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID:   07/16/99-i440BX-P2B
BIOS Eval: ASUS P2B-LS ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
Chipset:   Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio:   Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h

Ever considered a BIOS update?

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/P2B-LS/

The BIOS for your motherboard model too updates the SCSI component
inside it.

I did actually update the SCSI BIOS fairly recently.

It seems to me that the fault in the "official" kernels
must be that they are trying to read from the disk
before the driver is fully installed.

I notice that the driver takes quite a long time - perhaps 10 seconds -
to find the two SCSI disks.

IIRC the last distribution kernel that worked was the one with Redhat-8.2 .

Having said that, Knoppix, Suse and tomsrtbt all seem to boot fine.

I think my motherboard was fairly popular,
so there must be a few machines still out there with it inside.

Ah, this is one issue that has occurred to me and I just saw last week with Adaptec controllers waiting for the SCSI drives on another computer. I believe that there is a setting to delay the bios until the drives are detected.

On my SCSI systems, I had to do a cold boot and then warm reboot to get the SCSI drives recognized. This is what we had to do to a machine on Friday that had the same problem.

Check you bios and see if there is a setting to delay until the drives are probed.

Heck on the old machine it even happened with OS/2.
--
Robin Laing