FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

I've had rather unhappy experiences on all 3 computers
I've tried to upgrade from FC-3 to FC-4.
Sadly, my experience is that the Fedora installation
has been getting steadily worse, from FC-1 (fine) to FC-2 to FC-3 to FC-4.

I wonder if there is something basically wrong
with the Anaconda development?
>From the little I've seen of it,
it seems to me excessively complicated,
and also lacking in clear motivation.
Eg should the latest version of Anaconda work
on any machine the previous version worked on?
That doesn't seem to me an unreasonable aim.

I upgrade rather than install because I do not have great confidence
that the installation will work.
Eg no installation has worked on a SCSI only machine since Redhat-9.

The worst problem with FC-4 was on a machine (Asus motherboard)
with two SCSI disks and an IDE disk.
The upgrade seemed to get completely confused about the IDE disk,
which it could not find.
I managed to complete the upgrade by using Knoppix
to delete references to /dev/hda1 in /etc/fstab .

The upgrade itself on an AMD Athlon64 machine went OK,
but after it I get innumerable errors
when trying to compile a virgin kernel.
Eg "make xconfig" does not work because qtlib is not found.

The upgrade bombed out on a Sony Picturebook (C1VFK)
while "Reading package information",
with some kind of Python error.
[Am I alone in feeling that Python brings up more errors
than its predecessors, eg Perl ?]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366