Re: top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

On 3/30/05 9:40 AM, "Thomas Cameron" <thomas.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RDay -
>
> To start - I agree that plain text and bottom posting are a Good Thing(TM).
> I think that legal disclaimers are silly.
>
> What you fail to take into account is that this is a community with no laws
> regarding this topic (as is the whole Internet).  Everyone except Warren
> Togami and whoever  byte at aeon.com.my is are here voluntarily.  While I
> completely agree that these preferences are desireable, I think the people
> who let it get their blood pressure up are being silly.  I also think that
> the people who make this into some religious debate and get nasty about it
> need to grow up.
>
> I have never had a problem reading top posted messages, HTML formatted
> messages, or messages with silly disclaimers.  I know I'm not the sharpest
> tool in this particular shed.  It surprises me that some people on this list
> who are obviously as or more intelligent than I am get so stirred up about
> it.  And it saddens me when people on this list whom I respect on a
> technical level make rude comments and call names.
>
> I completely support gentle reminders when someone who is new to the list
> makes a mistake.
>
> But the hostility and rudeness just hurts the community.
>
> Thomas

   Actually to bottom post my two cents worth on this subject, I find it
fascinating some of the tangents that the lists go off on at times.  As IT
management, I admit I have joined lists as much to check out prospective
employees, as for the technical expertise on them (I do ask applicants what
lists they are on and go look up the archives as well as search for them in
other archives as well.)
   On the other hand, I also look up the mailing lists when deciding to try
a different brand.  Such as my considering FC or RedHat to replace SuSE in
my environment and setting up a testbed server to see if all the
applications we use will run on FC/RedHat.
   I admit freely that I committed a grave sin by hijacking someone's
posting, and honestly it has been long enough since I posted on a mailing
list that I did not think about it and simply hijacked it as a lazy way of
getting the email address of the list. (Ok... I did it twice)
   I was quite surprised when I got the email from Alexander that was
hostile, challenging my expertise at linux without giving me the benefit of
the doubt that I might have some inkling of what I was doing and did not
need to explain my whole IT strategy to him. At least he did not challenge
my manhood also.  Then to see the whole string of posts to follow about top
posting, bottom posting and the rants of David Curry chasing people off the
list.
Anyhow, I will second the motion above in short.

Ian E. McKinnon
DirIT, Coppertree Systems LLC