Re: top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

RDay -

To start - I agree that plain text and bottom posting are a Good Thing(TM). I think that legal disclaimers are silly.

What you fail to take into account is that this is a community with no laws regarding this topic (as is the whole Internet). Everyone except Warren Togami and whoever byte at aeon.com.my is are here voluntarily. While I completely agree that these preferences are desireable, I think the people who let it get their blood pressure up are being silly. I also think that the people who make this into some religious debate and get nasty about it need to grow up.

I have never had a problem reading top posted messages, HTML formatted messages, or messages with silly disclaimers. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in this particular shed. It surprises me that some people on this list who are obviously as or more intelligent than I am get so stirred up about it. And it saddens me when people on this list whom I respect on a technical level make rude comments and call names.

I completely support gentle reminders when someone who is new to the list makes a mistake.

But the hostility and rudeness just hurts the community.

Thomas