Re: kudzu "Keep existing configuration" does not act as advertised

> Message: 15
> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:49:32 -0600
> From: Jonathan Berry <berryja@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: kudzu "Keep existing configuration" does not act as
> 	advertised
> To: FedoraCoreList <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi all,
>
> My laptop has a strange behavior where occasionally the keyboard will
> not work until you press Shift+<some_key>, then all is well.  The
> problem is, when this happens, kudzu notices that the keyboard is
> missing and asks me what I want to do about it.  The choices I get are
> (from memory, IIRC):
> Ignore it -- keep going and prompt me again if the device seems to be missing
> Keep existing configuration -- keep going, but don't prompt again if
> it seems missing
> Remove the configuration -- forget about the device altogether
>
> No matter how many times I tell it to keep the existing configuration
> and not bother me when it seems missing, I still get the kudzu screen
> when it happens.  I think this also happens with other devices (it
> happened with my printer when I unhooked it once), the keyboard
> problem is just a convenient example.  Has anyone else noticed this
> kind of behavior?  Is kudzu really supposed to act the way it explains
> the choices (or at least the way I understand it)?  I checked bugzilla
> and didn't find anything that seemed exactly like this.  I'll be glad
> to add a bugzilla entry if people think this is probably a bug.
> I'm running a fully updated FC3 x86_64.  I would assume that it would
> be the same on a 32-bit system, but I don't have any way of testing
> that.
> $ rpm -q kudzu
> kudzu-1.1.95-1.x86_64
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
> Hi Jonathon,
quick fix for this:
while it's booting...don't touch it...just let it timeout and let the
machine boot up. Soon as you are logged in
get to a terminal and:
# kudzu
one kudzu is up, have it reconfigure to satisfy itself.
all should be fine now.
after this...go to shutdown
and, God willing, you won't be bothered w/that again.
yes, ino, it's not right but this works for me when I add new hardware.
gl!

John Rose

--
You ever notice the expression on your neighbor's face when you start
talking about linux?