Re: Step by Step - RPM file and install

Jason Hoskins wrote:

I am new to Linux.  I have installed Fedora Core 4.  Is there a
resource available the shows step by step how to take an rpm file and
install it?  I have an rpm file for my Wireless network card, for
example, but I do not know what to do with it.  Such as, what modules
do I use in Fedora to go through the process of installation.

Thanks.

Jason

Type: man rpm (type q to quit the man pages)

in a terminal window for all of the available options. To get you started:

   rpm -ivh somepackagename.rpm

will (i)nstall the package (v)erbosely with (h)ash marks for progress, if it's not already installed.

   rpm -Uvh somepackagename.rpm

will (U)pgrade an existing package, or just install it, if an older version is not already installed.