Re: reply to Gene's reply-to address

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 15:52 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > And verizon strikes again.  My apologies Alexander.  But I am
> > subscribed to this list and the list comes in fine.  They (verizon)
> > are not, IIRC, properly honoring a reverse lookup, and those MTA's
> > that require that, per the rfc, will hang it up.   Or at least thats
> > what I've been told.
> >
> > I've bitched, lots of people have bitched, but verizon seems adamant
> > in their refusal to conform to the rfc's.  They only closed their
> > open relay status last fall after over a million of us were defined
> > on half the friggin planets RBL lists.  They screwed with it for
> > several months before that faded away, and now they've been seducing
> > the canine again, no service for about 10 hours total in the past 7
> > days, with no explanations offered when you call.
>
> Do you have a reference for this (reverse lookups) anywhere? I can see
> two different problems with Verizon's mail servers at present, but they
> don't include reverse lookups:
>
> 1. For outgoing mail, they have stopped supporting AUTH LOGIN (RFC
> 2554). Given that AUTH LOGIN sends credentials in plain text (well,
> base64 encoded) over the network, there is at least *some* justification
> for this.
>
> 2. For incoming mail, they're blocking much of Europe by IP address. The
> google URL I posted earlier has meny references to this, and it's much
> less defensible. They're also using a home-brewed sender verification
> scheme that can appear at times to be indistinguishable from a
> dictionary attack.

----
I think that you fail to see the beauty of this - if by extension, they
block all email from everywhere, they completely solve the spam problem
for all of their users.

I find all this hard to believe and wouldn't except that Alexander and
Paul have said it and I am not one to fault their conclusions so it
would seem that having email on anywhere but verizon seems to be an
imperative.

That said - I have my connections from cox - and I don't use my cox.net
mail address - they apparently have issues too...but the cable internet
is pretty fast and cheap bandwidth.

Craig