Re: reply to Gene's reply-to address (was: SA question, and yes, I've checked the SA wiki.)

Am Mi, den 23.03.2005 schrieb Gene Heskett um 16:36:

> >Gene,
> >
> >I always have a problem to get the reply to your postings to your
> >reply-to address. Do others share that problem?
>
> What are you seeing as a replyto: address?  IIRC I've got something
> that *was* legal at one time in there.

Hi Gene :)

Antwort an: gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx, For users of Fedora Core releases
<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

"Antwort an:" is German from my Evolution and meand "reply to:". I guess
you did set in your mail client the reply-to field explicitly. This may
be because you like to get replies to your list postings not only over
the list subscription but too as a reply to your mail address directly.
That may be a reason. The list manager (mailman) on the Red Hat server
sets the reply-to address automatically, and I think if there is already
one set, then the Fedora list address is added. We see the same with
people mailing with Gmail (through the web frontend).
Sidenote: if your reply-to address does not differ your sender address,
and given the reason I explained above (direct reply rather than list
only) is not given, you do not need to set the reply-to in your mail
client. Just leave it empty.

> And verizon strikes again.  My apologies Alexander.  But I am
> subscribed to this list and the list comes in fine.  They (verizon)
> are not, IIRC, properly honoring a reverse lookup, and those MTA's
> that require that, per the rfc, will hang it up.   Or at least thats
> what I've been told.

> Cheers, Gene

Gene, don't take my posting as a complaint against you. You have always
been a friendly participant of discussions in here. I hope my message
didn't appear blaming you Gene. It was just that after trying to give
you some hints as an answer to your list posting, that I observed the
message being queued as relay.verizon.net didn't take my mail. Thanks to
Paul I now know that this is Verizon's policy as I am posting from
Germany.

I now will remember this issue in future cases and will have to remove
your personal reply-to address when answering to list messages by you
Gene. Not comfortable, but well, no big deal for me. on The other side,
if you like I can give you a Gmail account invitation.

Regards

Alexander

P.S. spam is a nowadays problem - we all know that very well,
unfortunately. But closing the doors for complete countries simply
breaks the medium. Maybe Verizon should note "Dear customer, your mail
account is only for conversation inside the USA".

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:59:52 up 6 days, 15:56, load average: 0.53, 0.56, 0.42